Tuesday, October 25, 2005

CodeArt

I think its quite evident that I have some geek tendencies. That's why Justin Mullin's work, Mathematical Photography really struck a chord with me; it's really genius in its simplicity. The concept is founded in idea that there is beauty in mathematics and its formulas that govern our universe. As Mullin clearly shows, it does so in more ways than one. This piece for instance, entitled Romance (Entanglement), is described as follows,


The connections between ordinary objects are fleeting and superficial. Two atoms may collide and separate, never to meet again. Others can stick together by virtue of the chemical bonds they form, until the day that bond is broken.

But there is another type of connection that is far more powerful and romantic. Certain objects can become linked by a mysterious process called entanglement. Particles that become entangled are deeply connected regardless of the distance between them. If they become separated by the width of the Universe, the bond between them remains intact. These particles are so deeply linked that it’s as if they somehow share the same existence.

Physicists do not yet fully understand the nature of entanglement but there is growing evidence that it is a fundamental property of the universe. Unfettered by the restrictions of space, entanglement may be the ghostly bedrock upon which reality is built."


Call me inspired. I went ahead and took a page out of Mullin's book, and I have gone ahead and created some art based upon what I know best.

Behold the birth of CodeArt.

CodeArt tries to find beauty in simplicity, in something that is so central to so many of our lives, and, yet, a mystery to most us all.

It is my goal to hit as many computer languages as I can, but, obviously, the focus will be on the ones I know and use the most. Here is my first piece, entitled Nascen C. I've described it as follows:


It is somewhat fitting that the birth of CodeArt is birth-centric. There is a dual meaning at work here. Not only is this the first thing that most coders will ever put to screen, a coder-birth, if you will, but it is also a philosophical exclamation of nativity. What else would a postnatal program say upon its introduction to the world but "Hello World"?

Additionally, there is a play on the word Nascency -- defined as coming into existence -- to include the language chosen, C."


If you find my idea delightfully creative, or, for that matter, exceedingly stupid, I have more posted here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home