Monday, January 09, 2006

Google Pack is Live

http://pack.google.com/ is live.

Here is what you need to know about Google Pack. It contains, in no particular order:
The ones that are linked are products that I use and/or endorse. Some are absolutely essential, like Firefox and Ad-Aware. Google Talk is a great alternative to AIM, and if you have to use the AIM network, Trillian is also a much better choice. Picasa is a great image library program that everyone should at least check out, Google Earth is a great way to lose hours of your life, and Google Desktop will change your life if you don't mind losing some CPU cycles.

On to the other, for lack of a better word, software.

First of all, I wonder if you install RealPlayer first, will Ad-Aware then remove it? And Norton Antivirus should not be installed on Personal Computers anymore. What was once a great staple in computer security is now nothing but a lunch-money stealing, food-hording bully; there are better, free-er, alternatives.

Next question: Why give me Google Toolbar for IE if you are also giving me Firefox, the better, safer web-browser that should most certainly be used in place of IE altogether?

Question number three: Doesn't Windows come with a screensaver that can show you a slideshow of your pictures? Why, yes, it does. I use it every day. Then why do I need two (2) more programs to accomplish this? How can you possibly solve the "lets show my pictures as a screensaver" problem any better than let's say, wait for it, showing my pictures as a screensaver? Unless either of these applications include flickr support, I think I'll pass.

And finally, but not the least of all superfluous, who the hell hasn't had a copy of Acrobat Reader installed on their system for the last decade? For that matter, is there anyone out there who has purchased a pre-built computer on which this trinket of modern computing did not reside? Show of hands now: no one? That's what I thought.

Lame if you ask me. Go download what you want individually. Sure its not as neat and tidy, but it cuts out all the excess crap. Google, I'm a bit disappointed.

read more | digg story


2 Comments:

  • I know I'm still in the vast minority, but for AIM usage I still prefer GAIM over Trillian by far. Its not a preference for open source software, I simply like the clean and simple interface of GAIM over Trillian's cluttered options and interface. Still, anything is better than the classic AIM client (actually I lie; you can download the old skool win 95 version of AIM still. Ah the good old days).

    By Blogger christian wolfe, at 1:09 AM  

  • I'd have to say GAIM is better than Trillian as well. But I love my GTalk.

    By Blogger Timmy, at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home