Friday, December 16, 2005

Serenity out Tuesday

Hey everyone, just an FYI. Serenity, the amazing motion picture follow-up to the (lamented) Joss Whedon television series Firefly, is due out on DVD Tuesday.

The reason I am posting this reminder is that it may very well be the fasted from-theater-to-home transition in the history of popular culture. (Editor's note: that claim is completely unresearched). The movie came out in theater's on September 30th, and a mere 7 weeks later, the film is going to find its way onto my coveted wall of DVDs.

I can't say I'm completely surprised. The underground nature of the film and lack of promotion by Universal lead to less-than-stellar box office numbers. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was planned from the get-go.

John Dvorak, acclaimed technology journalist and loudmouth said this film would have been a perfect test of his Theater/DVD co-release theory. I tend to agree with him. If this DVD had been available at the theater on day one for $20-25, I would have bought it without even thinking. I wouldn't have had to. Owning this film is the proverbial no-brainer of which everyone speaks.

And I still would have gone back to see it a second time with my Dad a week later.

When will movie studios learn?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home